Please note - I make NO claims as to the suitability of these objects
for any purpose whatsoever, they are just here to show you some
ideas and Halloween fun.  I make this statement because I'm
relatively certain that an object made with hot glue and/or
tissue paper isn't going to last forever, but then, what is?
  They'll probably last through at least a few Halloween holidays,
and I suspect the tissue paper creations would last quite a long
time if sealed, kept out of sunlight, etc., but I have no evidence
to support that theory (though I do have some paper masks
that are quite old).  Anyhow, all of these things took less than
a day to create, and I got to make a lovely mess in my studio!

First I got the idea for a "quick & dirty" large prop....

I had a cheapo plastic skull model (who doesn't?) so I taped it in the
position I wanted it, covered it with plastic wrap and started applying clay to it.
I'm using plasticine and kids modeling clay - the inexpensive greasy kind.

     
 




I decided to add a neck and shoulders to the model,
so I filled an empty 2-litre soda bottle with enough water
to weigh it down, added a cardboard collar, put some
plastic wrap on it and continued sculpting.
















 


I'm just going for generalized features
in the sculpting process, not details.

It's looking pretty scary already!

I'm calling it DONE...
now on to the next step.

















 I've applied a layer of tissue paper
to the clay model.  I mixed white glue
and water to about the consistency
of milk, then used a foam brush to
apply some of it to the model and add
torn pieces of tissue paper on top.

I used paper towels on the shoulder
area, just because it was easier to lay
them on the shoulders and sponge
the glue/water on them.









 
I repeated the layering process a couple of times.

Here is the finished model.  Note that the tissue
paper is still thin enough that you can see
through the layers.

I was trying for a ghost effect, intending to
light the prop from the inside.

I didn't bother with covering the back of the model
completely, since it won't be seen, and since I will
have to cut it apart to remove the clay anyhow.










 

When the tissue paper was dry,
I peeled it from the clay form.




















  This is what it looks like on the inside.

You can see that there is still clay in it,
which I intend to scrape out.  Or at least
scrape out most of it, it's ok with me if
it's blotchy, since I think that will add
to the creapiness factor.













 
  Basically, I'm done with it.

For this photo I stuck it on an ironing board,
taped the back of the head together, and put
an old Halloween costume hooded robe on it.

I intended to make some arms/hands for it,
but don't have time for that right now so
maybe I'll get to that before Halloween, maybe
not.

I think this would likely scare some
trick-or-treaters, especially in dim light or
partially in the shadows.

But wait!  I have an idea on how to make it
even more frightening!





Through the magic of "invisible" paint (I can never find the stuff! ;) ) and a UV LED...





   



The first image is in normal room lighting, the second is with normal light & UV LED, the third is with
the light off and just the UV LED.  This room doesn't have a dimmer switch - we will probably use alternate
lighting on Halloween and have the skeletal face appear by lowering the ambient light while ramping up
the UV.  But that's for another time.

Now on to the little ghosties..click here for page two of Halloween experiments.


Return to How To page

Home